Falsa Fruit, scientifically known as a Grewia Asiatica. It is a member of the Tiliaceae family. It is cultivated during the warmer season. The origin of the fruit is tropical southern Asia from Pakistan east to India and Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Nepal. Grewia Asiatica (Falso Fruit) was first found in Varanasi, which was later taken by Buddhist other Asian countries and the rest of the universe.
Some of the common names of Falsa Fruit are Indian Phalsa, Phalsa tree, Grewia, Flasa, and Parsa Phalsa. The flesh color of the fruit is white, and it has a sweet, bitter, sour, and acidic taste. People usually consume it for its cooling effect during summer by adding a little salt and black pepper to it.
Falsa grows in various types of soil such as clayey, sandy, and calcareous soils, but grows well on loamy soil from near sea level. The fruit contains minerals, Vitamin C, and cyaniding 3-glucoside.
History of Falsa Fruit
- In the early 20th century, the fruit was introduced to Indonesia and the Philippines, where it was naturalized.
- It was originated in India and other parts of Southeast Asia, which includes Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
- It shows a richness of the small, purple fruits in its inferior advancements in dry regions
- Currently, became a striking plant in Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos.
Major Nutrients of Falsa Fruit
Amazing Uses and Advantages of Falsa Fruit
- As the wood is effective as well as elastic, it can be used to prepare handles of golf sticks and shoulder poles. Also, it is used for carrying small weights, bows, and many more.
- The tree shoots help in making baskets, which makes it easy to carry fruits and vegetables.
- As the bark contains a good quantity of fiber, it is used in making ropes. Also, it helps to prepare brown sugar and used in the process of clarification of sugarcane juice.
- When Falsa fruit is ripe, it is used to make dessert as it has the taste and flavor which procure a high price. The juice of Falsa fruit is prepared in India during the summer season.
- Leaves are applied as an ointment to pustular flows and skin eruptions.
- Having the strong presence of Vitamin C it aids in getting rid of asthma, breath shortness, and bronchitis.
- Grewia Asiatica juice is one of the best supplements for people having diabetes.
- Grewia Asiatica is used as a traditional medicine in Bangladesh for gonorrhea and local traditional healers.
- Oil extracted from Falsa seeds assist in the treatment of fertility glitches and reproductive ailments.
- As per the study conducted at Vinayaka Mission’s College of Pharmacy in Tamil Nadu, it has shown that root bark aids in relieving pain and inflammation.
- Falsa leaves help in the treatment of sexually transmitted ailments and urinary infections.
Striking Health Benefits of Grewia Asiatica (Falsa Fruit)
- It helps in curing Anemia
Having the presence of Iron (13.50%), falsa fruit helps to cure Anemia. Having the absence of nutrients like iron can lead to certain health complications, including chronic fatigue.
- Root of sodium
Falsa fruit contains sodium in high quantity, which is considered as the best food source. Sodium in Falsa serves as an electrolyte and necessary ion to raise the enzyme’s act and muscle as well. It is important for blood regulation and also improves the performance of the nervous systems.
- Helps to build muscle
Make a habit of consuming falsa regularly to build your muscle. Having a strong presence of protein (1.57g) and potassium (372mg), it boosts the muscle function and strengthen it as well.
- Boosts Energy
Having the presence of calcium (136mg) it is beneficial to make your bones healthy and strong. It reinforces the bones and improves bone density.
- Prevents Diabetes
Diabetes is the common ailment that every person faces in today’s era. Falsa fruit possesses significant antioxidant, hypoglycemic and immune-modulatory properties. It has low glycemic index food, which is enjoyed by diabetics and people having cardiovascular ailment.
- Cures Respiratory Illness
Have a glass of Falsa fruit juice helps to treat respiratory problems. It includes cancer, asthma, cold, and more. Add the flavor of ginger or lemon juice in Falsa fruit will help you get rid of respiratory illness.
- Improves Heart Health
Falsa Fruit helps to keep the heart healthy and also relieve swelling and inflammation. To improve heart health, mix salt and a pinch of black pepper into 50ml of Falsa juice. It is suggested to consult a doctor before using it.
- Helps to get rid of stomachache
Due to the presence of fiber, Falsa fruit helps to relieve the pain of stomachache and other digestive problems. Also, by drinking falsa juice helps to get rid of the stomachache
- Helps to Reduce cancer risk
Falsa Fruits helps to reduce the risk of cancer. As it is rich in antioxidants, which makes it an effective antidote of harmful or junk food, we consume frequently.
- Keeps you, Young
Shocked? Yes, falsa fruit helps to keep your skin young. It cleanses the blood, which in turn aids in clearing your skin and make it glow.
- Helps in the treatment of Arthritis
The symptoms of arthritis are pain and less functioning of joints. To prevent such disease, having falsa fruit is the best thing to do. It treats arthritis effectively.
- Cures Radicals
Devour fruits that are rich in nutrients. It will help in preventing radicals. Consuming Falsa Fruit is the best option as it is highly rich in nutrients like protein, calcium, vitamins, and more.
Therefore, there are many other benefits of consuming Falsa fruit. A fruit that is rich in nutrients such as carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, and others can provide health benefits in several ways such as heals wounds, prevent diarrhea, serves as anti-microbial and anti-inflammation, brain weakness, and many more.
Points to Consider for Falsa Fruit
How Falsa Fruit is Cut
The bigger fruits consist of two big seeds, while on the other hand, the smaller ones consist of only one seed. Compared to other fruits, Falsa fruit can be eaten directly instead of cutting it out. The de-seeding procedure is very challenging when chosen as juice, but using a prevailing blender can aid, but pre-blending, the fruits must be saturated overnight and boiled with sugar the next day. The process of blending is done until a pulpy steadiness is gained, and lastly, the mix is strained in cheesecloth.
The procedure of propagation begins through seeds. Due to the presence of mucilage, the cutting process becomes difficult and that IBA preserved cutting to be rooted at the time of plantation in January. 90% of the germination was provided by the bold seeds of Falsa fruit and the sowing seed is rested on high beds. There should be a 2cm distance between every seed. The process of sprinkler water should be done instantly after sowing.
The seeds buds should not be over flooded as it will result in fungus phythium. After the 30 days of process of germination, 1% of Bavistin solution, as well as Dursban 20EC at 10ML of water, is applied to scrutinize the occurrence of white ants. Replantation of seed takes place in January.
The process of harvesting takes place two times a week. In Mid-May, to check the bud growth, the peaks of the shoots must be pinched. In June, ripening begins and continues until the end of the month. As the fruit gets ruined quickly so it must be transferred to the market shortly so that it can be delivered at the right time.
Falsa fruit must be stored at room temperature and should be consumed within 2 days. It can also be stored in the container and kept in the refrigerator through which it becomes easy to store it for a long period.
Outrageous Benefits of Falsa for Skin
Falsa is not only good for health but also beneficial for skin as it is a summer fruit that has several benefits, and one of them is skin. One can make several packs of Falsa and apply it on the skin and get amazing results and rid of skin problems. Some of them are explained below:
- With the help of cotton, apply the falsa juice on the scalp of the hair. Rinse it off after 15 minutes. It prevents dandruff and repairs the hair.
- Apply the mixture of pulp with egg white and oats on the face. 15 minutes later, sprinkle with water and rub softly in the circular movement on the skin. Rinse with water and make your skin glow.
- To get rid of dandruff, apply fruit pulp and leaves paste on the hair and wash it off with normal water after 20 minutes.
- Make Falsa fruit pack to remove tan from the skin. Add turmeric and almonds and mix them with the pulp. Apply the pack on the face and keep it for 15 minutes. Wash off with water and rub smoothly.